Brasfield & Gorrie is currently accepting applications for the position of Structural Ironworker at our jobsite located in Saraland, AL to join the construction project team. Below are the main responsibilities for this position. The duration of the project will be 12 months.
(This description may not include all duties required of this position)
- Understanding of plans, lay-out, install assemble and erect steel components in accordance with those plans and specifications.
- Read and understand plans and specifications, including steel inventories. Visualize two dimensional drawings in three dimensions.
- Follow established jobsite safety and regulations and maintain a safe and clean work area. Identify safety hazards you or other employees may be subject to and take all necessary corrective action to eliminate or minimize hazards.
- Inspect subordinate’s work for compliance with the contract plans and specifications, point out deficiencies and explain, and take any corrective action needed.
- Use appropriate hand and power tools to properly measure, cut, bend, thread, assemble, and erect steel and install all other related items in accordance with the applicable plans and specifications.
- Shakeout steel into erectable sequence; rig steel members for crane hoisting with a thorough knowledge and use of crane signals
- Guide steel members into position using tag line.
- Connect steel members; bolt-up connections; rack structure; plumb and square; torque bolts to applicable specifications.
- Pull, push, or pry steel members into approximate position while member is supported by crane.
- Force member into final position using turnbuckle, ironbars, jacks and hand tools; align holes in member with corresponding holes in previously placed member using drift pins or handle of wrench through the holes.
- Verify vertical and horizontal alignment of member using plumb bob and level.
- Cut and weld members to make alterations, using oxyacetylene cutting and welding equipment.